3 Bikini

Musings on Art and Commerce in Brooklyn.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Hooray for local Farm Fare and Seasonal Ingredients



We had every intention of checking out Flatbush Farm, formerly Bistro St. Marks, last night. We pass this place regularly and always say we should try it. The menu is still a bit limited as the main restaurant hasn't yet opened for business, and while the farm fresh fare sounded delicious, I wanted something heartier. So we ambled into the Slope to the longer established Rose Water on Union. It was my first time and it was memorable.

It's a cozy little space with hand painted tiles as the only adornment on beige walls. The banquets were covered in a cool mid century blue fabric. One small corner has a sliver of bookshelves running up it. While it was a wee bit chilly for a girl in a summery top, the number of bodies probably warranted the serious A/C.

I soon forgot my chill once the olive bread and focaccia basket came along. Instead of your standard olive oil dipping sauce, Rose Water offers up a roasted garlic spread surrounded by oil. Heaven.

Next we ordered the Meza plate, an appetizer of 3 dips, olives, and feta cheese. This was my introduction to the complex flavors the chef plays with. Last night's dips were a Romesco (Spanish red pepper and almond blend), corn and caraway puree, and finally a minted pea puree. While the minted pea was not our favorite I was wholly impressed that it tasted as verdant as its color. The corn and caraway was lovely as was the Romesco. The texture of the feta was creamy and perfect for mixing with the dips.

For the mains- Tal ordered the pork loin, which I tasted and can say that it was tender and delicious, if only a touch salty. It was accompanied by cranberry beans, mesquite chorizo and bok choy.

I chose the fried clam appetizer as my main and was not disappointed. The dipping sauce was a garlic infused creme fraiche, and decadent. The clams themselves were battered in what I can only describe as something similar to curly fries! Yum!

For dessert- A tangy goat cheese cake with a raspberry sauce that was perfect for me, but Tal wanted sweeter.

We walked home full and tipsy... Perfect.

2 Comments:

Anonymous j said...

Wow -- I was just at Rose Water yesterday for the first time myself! For a delicious Sunday brunch! I'm definitely a fan.

7/31/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger 3bikini said...

I'll have to check it out for brunch. Can't wait.

7/31/2006 9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home